20030512

words rhyming with me

lawschool still changing
the compulsion of language
compulsive combination of suspensions,
phonemic struts grammatical arches
and rhetorical buttresses
fly defiant in silence

come now prolific maybe
only for how hard it is
to say anything or as i'm
compelled to explain lately

just go around
muttering my mantra
("me")
all the time and
the more i do the more
everything rhymes
with me it's not
particularly useful
drafting legal briefs
--'tho' there its really
the meter that distracts
(the latinate adages of juridical antiquity and
their derived adjectives and nouns do rhyme of course)
-- for in this litigious society's
traditions of idiomatic speech
and homespun philosophies,
as, verily, rooted in the liturgy,
syllables rhyming with me
fill the tongue lavishly