20010506

when my baby left

when my baby left me she took her tv
and now i am free from anxiety
don't know if it's the tv or she
whose absence leaves me feelin' so carefree

before my baby left, she drank all the whiskey
then berated me semi-coherently, and i
muted the tv and held her hair as she
booted and booted and got her some water to drink

i remember the ads in her eyes the great deals and good buys
as we sat side by side on the couch in the warm glow
each program that aired, the hours we shared sitting there
in the glare, i still cherish every one, you know
but she had to go

then my baby left me and got her a puppy
that came with a pedigree and follows her obediently
now i know what she never got from me
and that i can be replaced so easily

but that box isn't telling me everything wrong with me
selling solutions for each insufficiency, and our
failure to be all that either could need, anymore
and neither is she

now i don't know if it's the tv or she
whose absence frees me from anxiety
i don't know if it's the tv or she
that's leaving me so carefree

no more sally and jesse and oprah and riki
no jean-luc no phoebe, and no more frohicke
no claritin gatorade prilosec nike
no more my baby and me
basking in front of the tv

when my baby left me she took her tv
but i don't need to drown my heartbreak in whiskey
because i'm uncharacteristically happy
since my baby took her tv away from me

she took her tv away from me, now i'm free from anxiety
she took her tv away from me, and she's happy with her puppy!

she took her tv away from me, and now nobody's feeding me,
and i'm uncertain which movies i ought to go see
since my baby took her tv away from me.