19951016

tutor'd

Life continues to change. I used to be fond of saying "Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose." But I guess for a while I have lost sight of many of the things that made me wise in my youth. (Jesus, look how all the Nietzsche influences that writing). Anyway, I was talking about change.

I've received letters from [redacted] (finally -- hooray!), [redacted], [redacted] and my mom. These are all good ~ now I've got to write back to [redacted] (I already have to [redacted]).

So Saturday morning Yang Sunja (who is one of the women whose outing with Duke and I met while out at a movie with Jisuk, I think I have failed to mention herein ~ suffice it to say that it was quite fun, but I did not expect to hear from them again...) called me.

She said, "I want to consult with you."

We set a meeting time for 3:00 Sunday at Heemang. I didn't know what it would be about. So I went. We went to Co-co's coffee shop, where we talked a bit. She wants me to teach her English, and in exchange, will tutor me in Korean. So we agreed to meet twice a week: One day at my house and one day at hers. So. We went to my house, so I could show her the book I was using to study Korean. She came in, met Link, and seemed mostly comfortable. I was kind of impressed.

Then we left to go to her house ~ despite people's disapproving scowls (Migook saram yamanin imnida!) she did not seem in the slightest bit phased. I didn't get to meet her family as we went only to her studio (in the basement of her family house). She showed me some of her painting, and her English books.

We hung out for a little bit, then went to meet her friend Youngsuk and Link for pizza. Pizza hut was good. Then Norre-Bang ~ which was okay. Then we went to their cafe / hang-out spot: Cafe Loss of Memory. They played blues, Bruce Springsteen "Nebraska", and Santana. The whole decor was very beat and, I must add, quite comfortable. I had a whiskey sour, Link had a screwdriver, and they both had coffee. Oh well. It was all fun - good conversation, some real communication, etc. Then we all went home, our separate ways.

Today Yang Sunja came over for our first lesson. It was fun. We reviewed all of the books I have studied until now. Then we did English. Then we just talked a bit. I enjoyed it and she did too.

One thing - she said she wanted to keep studying at my place because her mom told her that the village people were gossiping. Oh well ~ I don't have a problem with that. As I walked her out we had a near miss with Mr. Im's wife. I guess there will be some disapproval but what the hell. So far so good.

As a final note, I'll add that she asked me about [redacted]'s picture on the wall ~ I'm not sure if I adequately communicated that she is a friend and not a lover (or, for that matter, if that's true ~ something to write to [redacted] about). And I think that she mentioned a boy friend ~ but the topic quickly changed.

More Nietzsche and more Padasana. Had a lot of time with Roy today. Once he's relaxed I think he's not a bad man. He's just a lot of bluster. More later.