19950822

solo'd

I had my first class alone tonight. I think that it went pretty well and that the students enjoyed it too.

Today was their first day of school -- some of them were at school for as long as twelve hours today. Then, after that they went to the institute to attend my class. I must at least admire their ambition. But many of them were obviously tired.

We were all somewhat shy, so it went relatively slowly -- that and the fact that the book (or at least the part of the book that we covered today) is boring.

They, or most of them, were already familiar with all the words and sentences that we used, so it was mostly busywork. But we had some fun. The students got to hear me speak English and got to speak a lot of English. Also we were able to communicate a bit -- mostly about words of strange pronunciation. I taught them handkerchief, cupboard, listen, often, etc. I had fun and I hope that they did too. Tomorrow I have three classes. More after that.