20051209

you're asking what, exactly?

Do you believe in the bible boy?

What?

I said Do you believe in the bible boy?

Are you asking whether I think that book you’re shaking in my face is the bible or –?

The bible – the bible! Do you believe in the bible boy?

By the bible boy do I correctly understand you to denote Jesus who is known as the Christ, or is there some other bible boy, perhaps a tent revivalist, comic book superhero, or local cable televangelist?

I ask the questions. You! Boy! Do you, boy, believe in the bible?

I do; not only do I believe, but I’ll tell you, I have even seen bibles, or, if you’re a Platonist, instances of the bible form. I have touched many bibles, I have turned their pages, compared their illustrations, their tables, grown impatient with their indices, read with and without direction among their books; I have read books in one bible that may not be in an other bible. I have smelled them, too. Oh, I believe in the bible. Yes, sir. Is that not an edition of the bible in your hand?

Dammit boy. [perhaps a gesture of personal violence] This here bible, do you believe what’s in it?

I don’t understand your question.

Do you believe what’s in the bible boy? jesus christ!

In, uh, the bible boy, jesus christ, I believe there was, well, while he was living as a man, like any man, you know, guts and black stuff, and then at the resurrection in the bible boy jesus christ there was, um, a way to, er, salvation in, um, him?

That’s right. Do you believe it boy?

Believe what?

What’s in the bible?

Do you mean that stuff about the six days, and the pillar of salt and the sacrificed son and the flood and pillar of fire and all the rules and the prophets and judges and kings and the temple and the many women and men and children murdered and driven off the land and the lamentations and the gospels and a bunch of doctrinal letters and some more prophets? Do I believe all that stuff? And the copyright information, the credits, all the informative inserts? Do I believe in the cumulative totality of that?