19951127

court'd

Well, I wrote back to [redacted]. [redacted] called me. I called [redacted]. Both are well and bored -- alas. I got a letter from [redacted]. And, I finally got a letter from [redacted]. I haven't yet responded to [redacted], but of course I wrote to [redacted]. I wrote one letter on my computer, hoping that I could print it at work. Alas that their computer will not read my disk. It was a beautiful love letter. Probably best that I didn't send it. So, I wrote another letter by hand. This one was less heady - though it mentioned the other letter in no uncertain terms. I anticipate her response - I hope it doesn't take as long as last time.

I read the book that Bea leant me: Nicolai Gogol's "Diary of a Madman" and other stories. There's a great one called "Taras Bulba" about Cossaks. I enjoyed it especially - it gave me some insight into what the makers of Star Trek were getting at when they made Klingons to represent Russians. Very Klingon, those Cossaks. I almost envy their lifestyle - courage and war and revelry - and no more. Fascinating. Now I have one book left which I have not yet read. But I'm hoping to go to Kyobo on Wednesday, after my acupuncture. [redacted] sent me a bunch of information on teaching abroad - along with some more Korea-specific book suggestions. So, I'll take a wad of money with me and see what I can come up with.

Duke is taking Mr. Im to labor court. Don't know precisely what the charge is - I don't think he knows. But they're scheduled to hit court on Thursday. I think Duke's stay here is about to be much abbreviated. Were I Mr. Im (and Duke should be thankful that I'm not) I would be horribly insensed at his (Duke's) audacity. Now, I don't think that either has treated the other fairly: Mr. Im is moved to aversion by the thought of Duke's epilepsy. This may just be the excuse: Duke is known by all as someone who doesn't try too hard and doesn't notice much around him. Duke, on the other hand, is a lazy, slovenly, bully. He makes no effort to communicate with Mr. Im, and when he does make an effort, is not observant enough to have a clue how to proceed. Both are in the wrong. Mr. Im knows it (though he doesn't know why). I wish Duke knew it. Alas.