20120224

gotcher privacy policy anjer privacy policy

Amidst all the hoopla about the Google Services' new unified privacy policy, the Electronic Frontier Foundation offers How to Remove Your Google Search History Before Google's New Privacy Policy Takes Effect.

Related anecdote: Since I emigrated from the land of Lud and attained an electronic tether, I have tried to accommodate most of my wonted reading of the Internet by subscribing to feeds using the Google Reader utility on my mobile device. Using that utility on that device, I saw this post from Metafilter about that EFF Search-History-clearing post. But, although I could open the Metafilter post in Google Reader, I could not follow the link to the EFF, either directly or through a new window. When I simply tried to open a new window, Safari glitched. I'm sure there is an innocuous explanation.

Also related, the White House yesterday unveiled an aspirational set of principles -- to protect the individual privacy rights of consumers and "give users more control over how their information is handled" -- in a Consumer Privacy Bill of Rights. (Consumers and users, note; not citizens or people)