19951026

confront'd

The experiment begins.

Today a variety of things have happened and I expect a variety of things will continue to happen. Sun-ja came over for our lessons and hanging out. We studied from 12:00 - 2:00.

As Roy was cooking bulgogi for the family, we invited her to stay. Duke was out with Ji-suk in the morning, and expected Mr. Choi to arrive around two. So, we all sat down to eat and Choi arrived. I introduced him to Sun-ja. Then I told Link that the experiment had begun - to see how quickly the news would travel the grapevine. Then, as we were eating, another variable introduced itself: Mr. Im came by. He did not (except for a few quick glances) even acknowledge Sun-ja's presence. He told Roy to go to Segyero and split. Then Link, Roy and I tried to explain the "experiment" to her. I think she understood somewhat - and she called again later to say that she wasn't worried and I shouldn't be. Anyway, I showed her to the door.

When I returned Duke and Choi were in the kitchen. Choi said, "Oomph, you are fast to make a girlfriend." I, of course, denied that she is a girlfriend, and a conversation ensued between the two of us about he difference between Korean and American use of "girlfriend."

The whole time, Duke, shaving at the mirror, was heckling and undermining me, saying "Bullshit, liar" etc.

I had naturally assumed that he would understand that nothing should be said. But, joking or not, he was casting aspersions upon what I had portrayed (and have been treating) as a platonic relationship.

So, I said to him, in Choi's presence, "Duke, I expect you to appreciate the value of discretion; if you fuck with me I'll fuck back," but pronouncing "back" like Jisuk's surname. As he immediately ceased talking, I believe he got the point.

I'm pissed at Duke. Depending how he acts during the next few times we interact, I'll vary my treatment of him. But it is important that he understand that I want - no, I expect- the same consideration and discretion from him that he receives from me.

I hate stupidity.