19950818

no-rae bang'd?

No entry yesterday: a restful yet busy day.

I came in to work at ten and started teaching Mr. Kim's class. It was going well -- I do have fun teaching. Anyway, half way through, he came in and took over. And he taught the second class. At noon, I was writing down my hours. He saw them and said they were too long, so I would get off at 5:00. Good. A little later Mr. Kwon came in and told me that they (probably that should be the capitalized They of the management of Olympiad) had heard that no inspectors were coming. That explained Mr. Kim's presence. Anyway, at five Mr. Kim and I left (he wanted to go see Mr. Im) and walked home via a stationery store, and Hi-Mang Dep't Store (where he bought us a box of Ramen, some grapes and some cookies). He visited a while with Duke and me, then he split and went upstairs. Free time. I tried to meditate with marginal (read, no) success. Duke told me that Mr. Khan (with whom he works) was going to come over in the evening to go to a [no-rai bang].

This was not the same as the one that Hyun-ah and Heon-Seong took us to. We arrived and were shown to a private room. A man took our orders, then we were joined by two women. Mr. Khan said that they were our companions, actually "partners," and that he didn't get one because he is married. One sat next to me, the other next to Duke. Mr. Khan told us that we could touch them, but did not explain any farther than that. So neither of us did anything untoward. We all sang and drank. Duke and I were quite uncomfortable due to the apparent fact that we had been brought women (and not particularly attractive ones at that) who may have been somewhere between prostitutes and consorts. It was an interesting evening. Fun even at moments. Today, Duke is going to try to find out what that was all about. More later.