19951205

bill'd

Much later.

Well, the reason she wanted to talk to me is because she is worried about Duke. He has been, selon elle, unable to give any kind of clear answer, about anything. She asked me if I had noticed any change in him of late. I said that I thought his obliviousness characteristic ever since his arrival. So she proceeded to explain to me about a "non-convulsive seizure." These are more insidious than convulsive ones in that they are harder to detect: they are not as severe - that is, the brain activity is not interrupted enough to cause the body to shut down, but seizure activity is going on in the brain nevertheless. The subject is unable to answer questions - the most direct questions are the best to detect this sort of seizure: he will not know his name or birth date etc. These questions cannot be faked. Also, he will not move - adopt one position and maintain it for a very long time. In general, he will not track, and will be unable to interact meaningfully with the environment. She was worried that he had changed his medication.

So I got off the phone with her and went to question him. I questioned him for about fifty minutes - getting conflicting answers to many of the questions, and no answer to the rest. Finally I asked him to show me his medication. This got him up from his seat in the kitchen so we could go to his bedroom. A few minutes latter he "came to" as it were. He said he didn't remember the past fifty minutes and, after seeing his medicine (he's taking 1250mg of Primodone daily - though, even when lucid, he thought it was 1000mg) we decided to call his mother back. Probably she was more worried than before, we spoke (after they spoke). She really wants him to go to an American neurologist - or at least to see the one in Seoul whom his neurologist in D.C. referred him to. So far he hasn't. At the time of this writing, Duke has had one more seizure - last night - though there were no witnesses.

In the job field there have been no new developments: Duke dropped his suit - and has met with Mr. Im once or twice, but no progress has been made. No agreement reached. Im Won-jeong-nimh has let him sit for about a week - perhaps more meetings will be due soon.

Last week when Mr. Im came down to talk with Duke he brought 3 bills with him: 2 phone bills and an electricity bill. We all worked out what we owe and put it in an envelope - but we have done nothing with it yet. On Sat. (the bills were brought down on Wed.) "serving woman" came down and took both phone bills - but she left the electricity one. When they were given to us, all were overdue. --Don't know quite what will become of that.

My life is reasonably unchanged. I went to Kyobo bookcenter last Wednesday and spent W85,000 in one blow (this was earlier in the day than we received our bills). I got two books from the list sent to me by [redacted], the teachers book for the new book they want me to use at school, Ecce Homo, Kundera's Book of Laughter and Forgetting, Thich Nhat Hahn's Zen Keys, and a book on Yoga - which I have since started trying to practice. I guess that's it for now - I'll write more later - especially about my Chinese horoscope experience.